In case you missed my post yesterday over at the Quilt Story blog for their Holiday Tutorial Series, I'm reposting my tutorial for this Christmas bunting. It's the perfect decoration for your fireplace mantel or just hanging on the wall. Please enjoy!
Approximately 4" x 78"
- Print out of templates (see below materials list)
- 1/2 yard cotton linen blend or enough scrap fabric to make 15 banners (I used Robert Kaufman Essex Linen Blend in Natural)
- Cotton print scraps for 14 letters, at least 3" x 3" in size
- Small amount of green and red cotton print scraps for holly leaves and berries
- Paper backed fusible web for light to medium weight fabrics
- 3 yards cotton twill or polyester ribbon, 7/8" wide
- Dark brown thread
- Thread that blends with the ribbon color
- Small scissors
- Large scissors or rotary cutter and mat
- Clear acrylic ruler
- Measuring tape
- Hand sewing needle
- Straight pins
- Ink pen or water soluble pen
- Starch (optional)
- Sewing machine (is that too obvious?)
STEP 1: Click on the image below to download the template pages. Print page 1 on either copy paper or white card stock. I recommend printing page 2 on card stock since it helps to have a stiffer paper for the banner template.
STEP 16: Turn on some Christmas music, pour some eggnog, hang the bunting (careful not to drink too much eggnog before this step or it might be crooked), step back, give yourself a pat on the back and enjoy your new holiday decoration.