Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Summer Spruce Up: Master Bedroom Final Reveal!

It's been four weeks since I started working on the master bedroom spruce up project. I wasn't anticipating it to take so long, but when I look back at everything I did, I guess I can understand the timeline. This project has been tiring, but is now so rewarding. The once very dark, very brown room feels brighter and more put together. You can read about all the changes I wanted to make and why in the original master bedroom post here. Today, I am just excited to reveal the results. First, I'll show you before and after comparisons of the room and then I'll share some of the details.

Here is a rundown of all the projects:
  1. Had recessed lighting installed. See post here.
  2. Painted trim, doors and windows white. See post here and tutorial here.
  3. Installed new window blinds. See post here.
  4. Purchased and built new dresser and bookshelf unit. See post here.
  5. Made new curtains. See post here and tutorial here
  6. Added golden touches to several accessories. See post here.
  7. Painted the lampshades, created stylish storage boxes for my husband's stuff and made unique picture frame mats with decorative paper. See the post and tutorials here.
  8. Made a new decorative pillow for the bed and table runner for the dresser. See post here.
Well, those are just the projects that I posted about, but there were lots of other projects I worked on and items that I added to the room. Here are some of the finer details in no particular order.

I bought new lamps for the nightstands. Before, the lamps were boring and brown so I changed them out for something lighter and more stylish. Here see the baskets that I transformed and added to the nightstands for storage. See post here.
I made a new decorative pillow (original post here) for the bed, as well as made new shams. Before they were almost a solid brown and now they are the same fabric as the quilt.
The starburst mirror was transformed from bronze to a rustic gold. Original post here.
I also transformed the circle mirror from a flat brown to a more interesting, rustic gold. See post here.
This dresser was lost on the long wall, but now has been moved and fits perfectly along this shorter wall. 
I created some paper boxes for my husband's small items using a little Modge Podge and scrapbook paper. See post and tutorial here.
I added two small shelves to each side of the large window and added a number of personal touches through artwork and photos. Here I display the mats I created using scrapbook paper (post and tutorial here). Plus, I just have to add that I am pretty proud of myself for getting photos in all the frames. I once was notorious for displaying frames without photos but I'm turning over a new leaf.
I made a new quilted table runner for the dresser top. Details here.
I added a variety of different accessories to the bookshelves, including the painted frame I created. See post and tutorial here.
The space above the dresser and TV seemed a bit bare until I added these decorative gold mirrors.

That's about it. Overall, I am thrilled with the results. I am even more thrilled to be done with this project. My Summer Spruce Up series ended up highlighting only two of the four projects that I wanted to accomplish this summer. Time just ran out. School starts in a week and a half so I have a lot of cleaning and organizing to do. I am still going to work on my other spruce up projects, they just might be during fall-time. 

Thanks for following along with the transformations to the exterior front and the master bedroom. I hope you were able to learn a new crafting technique or found inspiration for your own home.

1 comment:

  1. Rather than waiting for a locksmith emergency to occur, it’s better to be prepared. You can do this by searching and doing research for locksmith in Toronto in advance,